Hydrology9 NX Review | Cloudious9 Portable Water Vaporizer
The Hydrology9 NX is a portable flower and concentrate vaporizer. The NX is version 2 of the Hydrology9, it is made by US vaporizer manufacturer Cloudious9. A special edition of the NX called the Hydrology9 NX Midnight can be seen here.
In this Hydrology9 NX review article, we share the experiences that we had using the Hydrology9 NX over the course of the last month or so. Yes, I was fortunate enough to receive a beta model of the Hydrology9 NX vaporizer to review and had the pleasure of trying it before everyone else! As a big fan of the original Hydrology9, I was very excited to learn about the new NX model.
4 Weeks of Usage – Hydrology9 NX review
So, it has been 4 weeks and I must say that I have put this vaporizer to the test. Prior to using the Hydrology9 NX I did not use concentrates very often, I was mainly a dry herb connoisseur and an edible eating machine. Over the past few weeks, I have gone to the dispensary here in Toronto at least 8 times to pick up more shatter. I simply love hitting the NX with shatter!
I’ve also learned that shatter needs to come in larger packs – these little 1g packages being sold at the dispensaries here in Canada are too small. But enough about that! let’s continue the Hydrology9 NX vaporizer review below.
New Upgrades to the Hydrology9 NX
There are some big upgrades in the new Hydrology 9 NX that the original model did not have. Let’s jump right in and dissect this beast of a vaporizer.
Let’s take a look at the features of the Hydrology9 NX vaporizer. Similar to the original Hydrology9 the NX is a portable water vaporizer for cannabis that funnels the vapor through water to help achieve a smoother and cleaner hit.
In the new model, You will notice that there are 2 ovens! The ovens are interchangeable so that you can vaporize both dry herb and concentrates such as shatter.
New upgrades to the battery
- The battery for the Hydrology 9 NX is both rechargeable and replaceable. Pretty much the entire device comes apart for easy cleaning. This includes the big battery in the center of the device. The batter is the central pillar that holds the whole thing together. The design is actually pretty cool and it can be appreciated when you are spending a few minutes clean the device and putting all the pieces back together.
New upgrades to the air path
- The airpath is quite intricate in this vaporizer. Likely due to all the components required to flow the vapor through the device and also through the water. The vapor path is fully accessible to clean. I noticed that I would need to clean the device quite a bit more when using the concentrate shatter oven.
- If using the dry herb oven you really just need to clean the oven as dry herb particles can get stuck in the air holes from time to time. With the Concentrate oven – you need to take apart pretty much the whole thing which can take 5-10 minutes.
New upgrades to the charging system
- The new charging system is great. I like how the charging cable is still the same as my phone – android charging cable. The charger is magnetic and sticks to the side of the vaporizer. When you want to use it you can easily lift the device and pull the cable off with ease. Saves a solid second or two each time.
New upgrades to the temperature controls
- The temperature can be changed by turning the giant dial that is the base of the device. This is made possible on the Hydrology9 NX because the oven location has been moved. The colors light the whole water area to different colors when you turn the dial. Visually this thing is quite striking.
- The three lower temperatures – Yellow, Greem, and Blue can be used with the concentrate setup, while all 6 temperature settings/colors can be used with the dry herb flower setup.
More on the concentrate setup:
- The Hydrology9 NX comes with a 100% glass quartz oven bucket and a 100% ceramic oven bucket
- Inside the oven at the bottom of it under the bucket, there is a titanium plate that gets very hot and delivers a torch-like experience.
- The package I got came with a silicon molding that goes around the bottom of the vaporizer and wraps around the oven also. This is actually very helpful as the device can get hot in your hands when you are using it for a while at a time. This molding gives the device a much wider base to stand on. So if you’re clumsy like me you will want to keep this thing on most of the time.
- Hidden in the lid of the concentrate shatter setup is a compartment nub that the glass carb cap sits on.
More in-depth on the Pros and Cons
You can’t put a price on smooth vapor, so water filtration is a definite pro in my books. However, it seems Cloudious9 did put a price on this smooth water filtered vapor – $270.
More pro’s I would say are the long-lasting removable battery, which I keep fully charged most of the time and cannot actually recall it running out of juice on me yet. Perhaps because the magnetic power dock is easy to connect and I just put it back on the charger before I go to sleep.
I’m a big fan of color-changing lights and room ambiance, so the 6 or 7 colors that pulse through the water are very cool and a big reason a really liked the original model as well.
A huge pro I’m sure is obvious is the dual material functionality of this vaporizer. For home use and none light travels, I think this vaporizer is a winner.
There are a few cons to this device, but in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons. The 1 main con is that you need to take care of this vaporizer more so than others. If you don’t clean it out after a few days of the concentrate oven being used, it will clog from all the sticky shatter. So it does take 5-10 minutes to disassemble, clean, and reassemble in order to get that smooth vapor flowing again.
Another con is that the device is tall and skinny, so it can be a bit wobbly and I have knocked mine over on the table and it has rolled off my desk onto a hard floor. Nothing broke which surprised me because it was a decent drop. Long live Borosilicate glass!
If you are looking for a small compact portable handheld vaporizer then this one might not be the option for you. It is fairly large for a portable vaporizer, but due to its nature of requiring water and having such a large battery, it’s not as portable as many other handheld vaporizers.
How much does the Hydrology9 NX cost
Purchase option 1: NX Bundle
The Hydrology9 NX is a top-of-the-line vaporizer that costs $300 US for the whole package. The package bundle includes both ovens. It can be purchase directly from Cloudious9 here.
Purchase option 2: Solo Oven
If you are interested in just vaporizing one material whether that be concentrates or dry herb, an option is to get a kit with just 1 oven. This can be done for $270. Personally, I think the novelty of this device is much higher with both ovens and the full kit is a better deal.
Purchase option 3: Ultra9 Bundle
Thank you for taking the time to read my Hydrology9 NX review. The Hydrology9 NX is my new favorite vaporizer and I think people are going to love it. I really like when new and exciting products like this come to market. I hope some of you enjoy this device as much as I have.